I asked my instagram and twitter followers if they wanted to send me some questions to answer. Here are some of my A’s to their Q’s (these are not FAQ’s)!
@Susanne_draws: What are your five favorite books and five favorite movies all time?
- Excluding the Harry Potter series from both books and Movies…
- Books: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas, Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas, Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith, and Shug by Jenny Han.
- Movies: Stranger Than Fiction, Zero Dark Thirty, The Last Gold, Moneyball, and Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version).
- All of the above is subject to change at any time…
@Kelliejbyrnes: I’d love to find out about your research process, in particular. E.g. how much do you do; do you consult experts; where do you start, etc.
- I always start with an idea or question that I really want answered. For If Sharks Disappeared, that question was “What happens if sharks disappear?” Then I do a whole bunch of research. I consume books, documentaries, research papers, blog posts, articles, nonprofit pages, and consult professionals. I then compile that information into notes, charts, doodles, and outlines. Then finally I make a draft.
@sourrrpuss: How do you stay on top of your OCD? And what do you do for self care?
- I directly combat my OCD many times throughout the day. I am constantly practicing exposures, however having gone through CBT/DBT therapy, they are easier to incorporate into my life. I also do my exposure worksheets if I need to. I do my best to switch up my daily routines so I don’t fall into patterns and make sure I am incorporating mindfulness with exercise, fresh air, and surrounding myself with loved ones. OCD is a life long battle and some days are harder than others.
@stoneMackenzie: I tried looking around so sorry if this is a question you get all the time but do you have a patreon or ko-fi?
- I don’t. I tried for a little, but I am not sure it agrees with my way of creating. I might try again in the future — who knows!
@alissamorabito: Could you talk more about getting your books published?
- My process was very different than most. I have written a blog post for the Macmillan Children’s blog that has more of the story about how If Sharks Disappeared came to be. I am going to elaborate on this in the future… keep an eye out for that blog post. It is going to be long.
@chloedala: What are some of your favorite animated films and/or tv series? (Any favorite animation studios?)
- The Little Mermaid made me want to draw, Mulan made me want to tell stories, A Bug’s Life made me want to work in animation, and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs made me want to make people laugh. I like studios that promote women, encourage female filmmakers, and tell female stories.
@emmis_art_journey: Why did you choose to become an artist? And who are some of your favourite book characters?
- I always knew I wanted to be some sort of artist. I gravitated towards the type of artist who gets to draw everyday, because I love it so much.
- Some of my favorite book characters include Celaena Sardothian (Throne of Glass series), Annabel Green (Just Listen), Robin Ellacott (Cormoran Strike series), and Rhysand (A Court of Thorns and Roses series).
Thank you for sending in your questions! If you have any more, tweet me @Lwbean.