Facts: Questions and Answers
Q: How can I tell if something is a fact?
A: In this day and age it can be very difficult to tell what is true and what is false. Especially on the internet. Before you share something with your friends, check out some of these things:
- Has this been reported by a few other verified sources?
- Is there a copyright?
- Who is the author? Do they write about this topic often?
- Does this seem like something with an intense bias to appeal to your emotions? Is it making you angry or sad? Does it sound believable?
- When was this published?
Q: How do I know where to get my information and facts from?
A: There are lots of ways to guarantee that you are getting facts! However, just to be certain, you should always cross reference them even if you know the informational source is telling the truth. Here are some of my favorites:
- Syndicated and reputable news sources (see previous question for more)
- Books published by reputable publishing houses
- Scholarly articles and journals from trusted sources and accredited universities or scientific organizations
- Verified Non-profits and organizations devoted to researching and publicizing truths
Duke University Library breaks it down simply and effectively!
Q: But how are you certain things are true? Or that it is a real scientific fact?
A: The scientific method. Maybe not everything uses the scientific method, but I trust that scientists do… I will check to see if the scientists are known or leaders in their field, before cross referencing their work with other sources. This article by Scientific American lays out what it means to be certain in the world of today.
Q: How do you know my scientific/fact based art is true?
A: I make sure to fact check all my work across many sources from books, scholarly journals, to expert opinions. I do my best to cite sources where I can.
Q: This is a blog post! These are just your opinions and feelings!
A: Indeed! However, I cited all my sources by providing links. Click the links to find out more.
Q: You have a lot of feelings!
A: I do. I think my life would be rather dull without them.